Closing or selling your business and VAT registration

Closing your business

If you close your business because you cease trading, you should tell HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and cancel your VAT registration using form VAT 7. You need to do this within 30 calendar days of closing your business if you want to avoid becoming liable for a financial penalty.

Cancelling your VAT registration

You can find out how and when to tell HMRC about changes in your business circumstances in our related guide changes to your business details and your VAT registration.

Subjects covered in this guide

Also on this site

Developed with:
HM Revenue & Customs