Intellectual property: the basics
A start-up intellectual property checklist
Even if your business is a start-up, you can have intellectual property, and it is important to make sure it is protected. Issues to consider are:
- Have you registered your business, either with the tax authorities or with Companies House? The name of your business is an important asset and it is important to make sure it is not already in use by another business. Read our guide on legal structures: the basics.
- Do you have a logo which you can register as a trade mark? See the page in this guide on trade marks.
- Do you need to register a patent? See the page in this guide on patents.
- Do you need to register a design? See the page in this guide on designs.
- Do you need international protection for your intellectual property? See our guide on intellectual property protection overseas.
- Have you done an intellectual property audit? See our guide on protecting intellectual property.
Subjects covered in this guide
Also on this site
Intellectual Property Office