Set up and register as self-employed
Checklist: setting up as self-employed
To set yourself up as self-employed there are several things you must do. Make sure that you:
- register straight away for Self Assessment with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) so they can set up your tax and National Insurance records
- obtain any permits and planning permission that you may need from your local authority
- contact your local authority to find out whether you need to pay business rates
- contact HMRC to register for VAT if you expect to have turnover of more than £73,000 a year
- register with HMRC for PAYE (Pay As You Earn) if you employ staff
- register with HMRC if you are a contractor or subcontractor in the construction industry
- set up a financial record-keeping system
- put your name on all your business stationery, including letters, invoices, receipts and cheques
It's worth remembering, though, that this is just a start. As you continue in business, you may well have other legal and tax issues to bear in mind. Use our interactive tool to find out the records you must keep as a business.
For more information on National Insurance contributions, use our interactive tool to identify the National Insurance contributions you must pay.
The Citizens Advice Bureau provides additional information on a wide range of self-employment topics and gives a list of other organisations to contact for specialist advice. Find sources of advice on self-employment issues on the Advice Guide website.
Subjects covered in this guide
HM Revenue & Customs
Also on this site