Market research and market reports
Using market reports and other data
Once you have identified the information you need, you can start to gather it.
You can find useful data from a wide range of sources, including:
- your local business reference library
- your trade association, local authority or Chamber of Commerce
- the Office for National Statistics - for information on the economy, population and social trends
- the business pages of national newspapers
- commercial publishers of market reports - including KeyNote, Euromonitor, Mintel, Datamonitor, The Economist Intelligence Unit and Market & Business Development
- your business' own data - for analysis of your sales records or levels of enquiries
- your customers - monitoring their buying habits and how they behave is one of the best methods of market research
For other useful sources of data, see the page on learning about your competitors in our guide: understand your competitors.
Subjects covered in this guide
Also on this site
The Chartered Institute of Marketing